Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 07:45:51 -0400

  > It's an ill-defined task, at best.

That's not a problem.  We're talking about communicating an idea to
people.

                                       Which files, when, where to store the
  > last message date? Will it distract the user from writing code (will it
  > make the buffer contents jump)?

These are technical details that I am sure we will handle.  Since
you don't need to do the work, don't make a fuss about it.

There will be a setting to turn off the messages.  Once you know the
point we want to show people, shut off the message if you like.

                                    How will it deal with personal
  > configurations (which people have no intention of publishing), and will
  > it continue to show those messages even after the package is published?

I see a misunderstanding.  This is not a question of "dealing with"
individual packages one by one.  The goal is to make sure people are
aware of the importance of getting legal papers as they accept
contributions.

The idea of doing this in specific situations (maybe editing Elisp
files, maybe editing package files) is to identify the people it is
useful to inform: people who are developing Emacs packages.

--
Dr Richard Stallman