Re: Native line numbers, final testing

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Native line numbers, final testing
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 01:35:12 -0400

EZ> The doc string for the 'line-number' face explicitly tells to use
EZ> fixed-pitch font for the face.

I hadn't gotten that far; I only called M-x set-variable in a buffer
which was already in variable-pitch-mode, and then toggled v-p-m a
couple of time to compare w/ and w/o.  I hadn't gone looking for the
name of the face used by the line numbers.

I'd also -- until this thread reminded me -- forgotten about fonts which
do not have fixed width numerals by default.  It had been some time since
I last dealt with the four options for digits (proportional vs fixed on
one axis, and fixed-height vs oldstyle on the other).

Perhaps what I should have written is that the default face for line-
number should not be affected by enabling variable-pitch-mode.

But I think I've already gotten used to the variable width line numbers.

>> The code might need to check whether the current face provides a glyph
>> for FIGURE SPACE.

EZ> And if not?

Then it would have had to ignore FIGURE SPACE and fall back to SPACE...

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6