Re: (format "Hello %1$S%2$s" 'world "!")

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: (format "Hello %1$S%2$s" 'world "!")
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:32:41 -0400

On 2017-07-02 11:03, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> I don't recall anyone suggesting that.

Sorry, I should have, then :/

> Why would we need a new function since %n$ would be an error for the old
> format anyway?

This in itself is a good reason to have a new function.  A new function lets
you migrate existing code, including plugins, to the new syntax, and load the
polyfill in older Emacsen.  A new syntax that causes errors in old Emacsen
isn't usable by anyone outside of Emacs core, for fear of compatibility
problems.

Also, the syntax is very heavy.  Was it inspired by another programming
language?  The ones I'm familiar with use $1, {1}, or similar syntax, but I've
never seen %1$s :/