Re: Native display of line numbers, improved

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers, improved
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:02:54 +0300

> From: Stephen Berman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:41:38 +0200
>
> > This shows your face inherits from font-lock-comment-face.  It should
> > inherit from line-number instead.  Or from the default face.  When I
> > do one of those, the scaling works as you expected.
>
> Got it, thanks.  Is this documented?

Probably not.  And I'm not really sure how to document this in a way
that's useful.

In a nutshell, support for face remapping needs to be explicitly coded
where we want it, and AFAIK we only coded that in a few places which
were reported as bugs.  The fact that the face needs to inherit from
'default' is something I know only from personal experience.  In
particular, Customize somehow tends to break face remapping, unless
the inheritance keeps it from doing that.  Maybe someone who knows
more about faces and their customizations could chime in.