Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 05:39:46 +0300

> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 17:46:33 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 10:44:36 +0200
> > From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> >
> > One problem I see is that once a window has been scrolled to the right,
> > it's not easy to auto-hscroll it back, at least with ‘truncate-lines’
> > non-nil.
>
> Yes, truncated lines have a few bugs with this feature, I have a todo
> item to look into that.  Thanks for the test case.

Btw, the stuff that really bothers me are all those low-level
functions that depends on window geometry for measuring the text-area
width.  Line numbers take up some of that space, and it isn't clear to
me what that breaks.  Perhaps you could take a look at the relevant
functions?  We may need to provide a primitive which returns the width
taken by the line number display.

TIA