Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 20:19:33 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 19:11:27 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 15:47:05 +0000
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > > Given a window whose buffer is in Follow Mode, how do I know what is
> > > the "correct" value of point to use in that window to make the
> > > relative numbers "global"?

> > I don't see that this can easily be done, since follow-mode more fights
> > the display engine rather than working with it.

> Maybe follow-mode could provide a buffer-local variable with the value
> of that point, and the display engine could simply access that
> variable?

Or something like that.  How about a buffer local variable provided by
the display engine called something like point-window?  Any function
(here, we're talking mainly follow-mode) could set this to a window, and
the meaning would be "all relative line numbers should be based from the
value of point in this window".  This would save the display engine from
having to check the existence of the variable (follow-mode might not be
loaded), and updating the value of the variable in follow-mode would be
straightforward.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).