Re: Native display of line numbers

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 10:44:36 +0200

Thanks - a wise step.

> Please give it a try and report any bugs you find.  I'm sure there
> will be quite a few bugs, given the sheer amount of display feature
> which could be affected, and which I didn't have time to test.

One problem I see is that once a window has been scrolled to the right,
it's not easy to auto-hscroll it back, at least with ‘truncate-lines’
non-nil.  For example, when with emacs -Q I here do

(progn
  (setq truncate-lines t)
  (find-file "./src/xdisp.c")
  (split-window-horizontally)
  (other-window 1)
  (goto-char (point-max))
  (end-of-line -5)
  (setq display-line-numbers t)
  (sit-for 1)
  (beginning-of-line))

the line beginnings in the window on the right won't become visible
again as long as I do just ‘left-char’.

martin