Re: goto-char doesn't stick

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: goto-char doesn't stick
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 07:37:01 -0400

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> (progn
>>> (set-buffer "z")
>>> (goto-char LOCATION))
> [...]
>> It's a feature, new in Emacs 26.  If you don't like it, turn off
>> switch-to-buffer-preserve-window-point.
>
> Really?  Why would set-buffer+goto-char be affected by a variable named
> switch-to-buffer-* ?

The switch-to-buffer-preserve-window-point affects point when you
switch to buffer "z" later.

> To me it sounds like Noam is right: Elias just needs to set-window-point
> instead of goto-char (or additionally to, if he needs goto-char for some
> other reason).

No, I verified that it happens when "z" is not displayed in any window.

Maybe we should provide set-preserved-window-point? Or
set-user-visible-point which would set all of point, window-point, and
preserved window-point (although I'm not sure how to deal with the
multi-window case cleanly)?