Re: docstrings and elisp reference

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: docstrings and elisp reference
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 18:43:23 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 09:03:04 -0400
>
> >From where I stand, the way to fix it is:
> - Better integration between the manual browser and the docstring
>   browser, so you can click on a function/variable name in the manual to
>   get to its docstring and you can easily jump from a docstring to the
>   relevant section of the manual.
> - Remove the redundant var/fun documentation from the manual (this is
>   a tedious job: there is some redundance but it's not systematic, so
>   we can't just do this removal systematically).
> - Come up with a way to re-add those var/fun documentation into the
>   printed manual (e.g. by adding to the Texinfo source external
>   references to docstrings, which are then processed by now ad-hoc
>   script).

FWIW, I disagree with this direction.  I think we will end up with a
much lower-level of documentation if we go that way.  I also very much
doubt we will find a volunteer to perform the 2nd item of that list:
it's a very large and ungrateful job, and some of the text to be
removed is IMNSHO excellent prose which it would be pity to lose.