Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quot

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quote.
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 16:09:20 -0700

On 06/06/2017 01:21 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
we are talking about format strings, which you cannot be replaced by "%s".

The original bug report is about the ‘message’ function, not about formats in general. For that function, "%s" is the longstanding way to output arbitrary strings. For formats in general, one can use the ‘format’ function (which does not translate quotes) or the ‘format-message’ function (which does); this suffices in practice.

contractions like don't should be avoided anyway

As a practical matter Emacs messages often have contractions and I am not aware of a GNU style guideline that would discourage their use. Plus, some uses of apostrophes in messages are for possessives, not contractions. Surely we should not ban contractions and possessives merely because our API has glitches with apostrophes.