Re: compiled lisp file format (Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file)

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: compiled lisp file format (Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 01:52:47 -0400

Ah, yes, I remember this part of the discussion now… sorry, didn’t mean to stir
up the same old argument again.

The expertise question would be an issue for attempting to adopt “ELF
everywhere” in some fashion too, especially if we tried to do something
interesting with using DWARF to store some kind of debug info.

On May 29, 2017, at 16:15, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> This idea requires_generating_  C, something we don't currently do
>
> Actually, Emacs generates and reformats C code all the time, e.g., when
> editing and reindenting it. And the Emacs build procedure generates plenty of
> C code, e.g., lib/stdlib.h. It is not a stretch to assume enough C expertise
> to deal with this sort of thing.
>
>> As for whether it will be simple, I reserve my judgment
>
> That's discouraging.

I dunno, sounds like an invitation to produce an implementation that shows how
straightforward it can be.  But, I had other things I was planning to work on
tonight…

Ken