Re: Obsolete string-to-multibyte hard to replace

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Obsolete string-to-multibyte hard to replace
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 20:45:47 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 09:01:24 -0400
>
> I think it'd make sense to change make-string so it always returns
> a multibyte string, and maybe to also introduce a new make-unibyte-string.

How about an optional argument to make-string instead?

Anyway, beware of the use case of building and starting Emacs in a
non-ASCII directory, especially when the locale's codeset is not
UTF-8.  If we make such changes, these use cases must be audited to
see that they still work, because we use unibyte strings during early
stages of startup in these cases, until we figure out how to decode
them.