Re: binding S-mouse-1

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: binding S-mouse-1
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 18:18:14 +0300

> Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 19:06:48 +0900 (JST)
> From: Tak Kunihiro <address@hidden>
>
> Keys <S-right> and <S-left> extend region.  I think that [S-mouse-1]
> should behave similar by default.
>
> I propose to bind mouse-appearance-menu to super instead of shift,
>   (global-set-key [S-down-mouse-1] 'mouse-appearance-menu)
> and bind following to let shift click to extend region on mouse.el.
>   (global-set-key [S-down-mouse-1] 'ignore)
>   (global-set-key [S-mouse-1] 'mouse-save-then-kill)

Isn't that backward-incompatible change in behavior?

FWIW, I use S-down-mouse-1 quite a lot, especially when testing
various display-related bug reports and questions.  Replacing it with
super, for which I have no key on my keyboard, would need both more
customizations and re-teaching my muscle memory.  All that just to
provide some kind of "consistency"?  I'm not sure it's a good enough
reason for changing such a veteran behavior.

Thanks.