Re: Before l10n, better practices for (message) ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Before l10n, better practices for (message) ?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 22:12:12 +0300

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 17:08:51 +0900
>
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/
>
> Paul,
>
> Thank you. I know what gettext is.

I'm quite sure telling you about gettext was not what Paul had in
mind.  He most probably wanted to point out that any infrastructure of
this kind should at least consider using gettext, if not actually use
it.  Which is something I could agree with.

> But between gettexting emacs and now there are plenty of steps, that include
> straightening up the strings because as seen in package.el, code writers
> don't seem to have that in mind when they write their packages, but Eli seems
> to be talking about something else.

I thought about taking first steps towards providing the missing
infrastructure in Emacs.  For example, providing a way to display a
translation of a given string to a given language.  Is that something
you'd like to work on?