Re: Proposal: new mode-line `%'-construct %o meaning "Degree of travel o

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Proposal: new mode-line `%'-construct %o meaning "Degree of travel of window through buffer".
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 21:15:52 -0400

On Mon, 15 May 2017 20:38:38 -0400 Noam Postavsky
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Numerically, "%p" is 100 * a / (a + W + b).
> >
> > "%o" is 100 * a / (a + b).
>
> Yeah, that makes much more sense, a percentage should range from %0
> to %100, and %p's formula doesn't. I think I've dealt with this
> mostly by ignoring the number and looking at the scrollbar instead.
> With this patch, I might actually be able to rely on the number.

I'd like to make two suggestions:

1) I don't see a good reason this shouldn't just be what %p does
(that is, instead of adding %o, perhaps %p should be altered, since
this is more sensible.)

2) If %p is not changed, a knob should be made available to allow
users to invoke the %o in place of %p without having to edit the
modeline specification themselves, which is currently quite messy.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden