Re: Does Emacs return memory to the system on Mac OS X or *BSD?

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Does Emacs return memory to the system on Mac OS X or *BSD?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 19:07:01 +0200

George Plymale II <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually, the author stated in a another post, [...] that he is [...]
> doing some heavy duty web scraping via EWW and had some PDFs open.

Opening and displaying many PDFs resp. pages in a relatively short time
can use a lot of memory (I think around 1MB/page is not to far from the
truth.). This is due to the fact that images are kept cached until they
expire via image-cache-eviction-delay, which has a default value of
12min, I believe. Of course, this situation could be improved.

I think this is true for both doc-view and pdf-tools.

-ap