Re: ctl-x-map key binding conventions for new major/minor modes

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: ctl-x-map key binding conventions for new major/minor modes
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 14:48:21 +0000

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 10:34 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>  and ask
>  the user what she would like to do about, with 3 possible answers
>  being "rebind", "don't rebind", and "error out of 'load'"?
>
> Would that halt emacs startup with that prompt?

It would stop the load of the features which redefines the keys.

What I meant is that what if the user is starting emacs using emacsclient and that prompt interferes with the startup process. It can get very irritating.

> If so, I believe that would cause an annoyance for a lot of
> users who might have already shadowed bindings.

That's why I proposed to do that only once, the first time this
ever happens for a key or a group of keys.

So the preference would be saved via Customize interface.

> What if define-key is instead made to throw a message or a warning?

What's the difference between a message and a warning?

I meant just a message.

Anyway, this could also be good, but its disadvantage is that it
doesn't let the user an opportunity to reject the rebinding.

That right.

I think this should be an interactive feature, not a non-interactive
one.

I thought of above so that the people don't shadow the bindings unknowingly in their config. I personally never set bindings interactively; may be many others do the same. So I cannot tell how much impact this will have if this happens just interactively.
--

Kaushal Modi