Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 12:16:30 -0400

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 21:51:09 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 14:45:24 -0400
>>
>> I've pushed a .gitlab-ci.yml file to the branch scratch/tzz/gitlab
>>
>> Merging that branch and letting me and Toon maintain that file would
>> make it much easier to support https://gitlab.com/emacs-ci/emacs and
>> further evaluate its viability as a CI service.

EZ> Frankly, I don't understand why this file should be part of the Emacs
EZ> repository.  For starters, it seems to be Debian-specific.  And if it
EZ> should be in our repository, its place is definitely wrong, it should
EZ> be somewhere under admin/.

The contents and location are annoyingly necessary in order to try out
Gitlab as a CI service.

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:23:54 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

EZ> OK, but why should the Emacs repository keep this file and maintain
EZ> it?  It looks simple enough for the interested users to have it on
EZ> their systems, and GitLab looks like a full repository anyway, so
EZ> maybe the file should be maintained there?  Or we could have a small
EZ> note file in admin/notes telling the interested users to create such a
EZ> file if they want.

Because it's a pain otherwise. If we use Gitlab CI more fully, we have
to keep it there. They are working on allowing the location to be
flexible: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/15041
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/merge_requests/5682 so this is
probably not a long-term problem.

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:59:30 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

EZ> I don't understand this attack.  We didn't yet decide that this site
EZ> will be our CI site.  Until we do, why should we function as someone
EZ> else's repository??

I think it's useful, in order to make that evaluation, to allow this
hiden file. I don't think it's a big burden for me, and don't expect
anyone else to maintain it.