Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 18:45:40 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 22:08:50 -0400
>
> Update on the patch, summarizing the last few days and restating all my
> remaining questions. It's in the scratch/tzz/nettle branch of emacs.git
> or at https://gitlab.com/emacs-ci/emacs/merge_requests/2

Thanks for working on this, Ted.

> * docs are up to date with current code

The NEWS entry should mention the section in the manual which
describes these features.

Also, you consistently leave only one space between sentences, which
is not our convention.

I would suggest to extract the common description of the
(BUFFER-OR-STRING START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR) form, so you could
have it only once, instead of repeating it with each function.

>   I'd like to allow files here, but I'd also like to avoid reading them
>   into a buffer or a string just to use with extract_data_from_object().
>
>   There's no Lisp_Object AFAIK to represent a file. So for
>   BUFFER-OR-STRING what do I use to indicate a file?
>
>   "file:///the/path" ; a special string format: URL format?
>
>   (file "/the/path") ; a nested list with a symbol?
>
>   (insert-file-contents-literally "/the/path") ; a form, called in a temp
> buffer?

I think (file "FOO") is the best.  (I understand that the file will be
submitted to GnuTLS functions for processing, is that right?)