Re: Language Servers and Emacs

From: Lele Gaifax
Subject: Re: Language Servers and Emacs
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 11:06:27 +0200

Vibhav Pant <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 6:37 PM, Perry E. Metzger <address@hidden> wrote:
>> That looks very cool! However, your warning on the web site
>> makes it sound like it is not ready to be used. (I.e. you say "This
>> package is still under development, and is not recommended for daily
>> use.") Is that just an abundance of caution?
>
> In some ways, yes. lsp-mode still has issues with *some* language server
> (the Python one is the most mature one AFAIK, and works just fine).

Indeed it is very nice: I gave it a shot on a Python project, and will surely
try it again.

One thing that surprised me is that it asks about launching the underlying
"pyls" tool once for each visited source: is that right? As my project has
hundreds of Python modules, wouldn't that put Emacs under pressure?

One minor observation on the lisp sources: I think it's not necessary to
explicitly quote lambdas as in the following snippet

  (lsp-define-client 'python-mode "python" 'stdio #'(lambda ()
default-directory)
    :command '("pyls")
    :name "Python Language Server")

Thank you,