Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2017 15:03:17 +0000

Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> schrieb am Fr., 7. Apr. 2017 um 18:18 Uhr:
On 2017-04-07 12:02, Ken Raeburn wrote:
> Sorry, was too late at night I guess.  For batch mode, it’s code
> loaded via -l options that might have to add new explicit
> dependencies, if we don’t add autoloads for everything.  I would
> expect autoloads would be the direction we’d want to go….

Removing some preloaded packages in favor of autoloads is probably a good idea.  We should be careful, though: as previously discussed, essentially everything in packages that were previously preloaded needs to be autoloaded now, since many packages don't (require) the preloaded features that they use.

Doesn't that effectively just move most of the code to loaddefs.el, from which it again has to be either preloaded or byte-compiled into the "big .elc file"? Does this really bring measurable benefits nowadays?