Re: master cd0a795: Output number of characters added to file (Bug#354)

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: master cd0a795: Output number of characters added to file (Bug#354)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 20:13:04 -0400

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 6:50 PM Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/07/2017 12:14 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> > P.S. In the future, it might be better to voice such objections while
>> > the patch is being discussed,
>>
>> All true. Still, I didn't realize how annoying the new behavior would be
>> until I started using it. Formerly, when I typed C-x C-s I would
>> typically get a little message in the echo area that I could ignore. Now
>> the extra length often causes the message to take more than one line,
>> which causes the lowest mode line to do a little dance to get out of the
>> way so that the echo area can temporarily take two lines, and this is
>> quite irritating.
>>
>> So, having tried it, I would rather not see these character counts and
>> would rather have the default be the way things were.
>

> +1! Please make this an option, defaulting to the prior state (disabled).
>
> I never have wondered how many characters actually got written.. It just
> creates a random noise in the echo area.

Yeah, after trying it out more, I do find it more disruptive than I
expected. I think part of it is because it puts the character count at
the beginning of the message where we've gotten used to seeing the
file name. I've changed it around in [1: c323659344], if it's still
too annoying I'll look at adding an option.

1: 2017-04-07 19:54:11 -0400 c323659344ba4db7a0b074b2e29d0a5f33d5eb80
  Adjust write-region so file name is at the beginning again