Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 05:02:30 -0400

On Apr 7, 2017, at 03:28, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Lars Brinkhoff <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2017 07:46:12 +0200
>>
>> Ken Raeburn wrote:
>>> I was aiming for a startup time under a tenth of a second, and didn’t
>>> get there, though there were a couple of additional things that could
>>> be tried, with some effort.  I’m not sure a startup time of nearly a
>>> fifth of a second will feel for people.
>>
>> Every invokation of async-start launches a new emacs subprocess, doesn't
>> it?  So startup time would also affect uses of async.el.
>
> Perhaps we could have a separate, much smaller dumped.elc for batch
> invocations, to cater to these use cases.  Ken, does this make sense?

We could do it, sure.  For example, stuff relating to window systems probably
isn’t of much use in batch mode.  One question is, do we change such things to
use autoload in case the user’s init file references their functions, or do we
require that the user know to use “load” or “require”?

Maybe we can find file currently loaded that we could change over to
autoloading in all cases, improving the interactive startup time too?

Ken