Re: mouse-wheel-scroll

From: Anders Lindgren
Subject: Re: mouse-wheel-scroll
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 10:17:19 +0200

Hi!

I'm using a trackpad on a mac, and I would like Emacs to behave like other applications.

In macOS, scrolling slowly scrolls the display very little and smoothly (even less than a line, for applications that support it). Whereas, if I scroll fast, large amount of text is moved. One big advantage of this is that it's easier for the eye to follow the scrolled text when it scrolls smoothly. When the text jump (as it does by default in Emacs) it's easy to loose track of what is what on the screen, and you wast time trying to find visual markers on the screen.

To get the smooth scroll, I have used the settings suggested by the original poster for `mouse-wheel-scroll-amount': (1 ((shift) . 5) ((control) . nil)) I have always seen the old setting as a relic from the time when computers weren't powerful enough to perform scrolling effectively.

However, `mouse-wheel-progressive-speed' should be `t' -- at least when using a trackpad. If not, it's not possible to scroll fast through a buffer. (In numbers, I can scroll through a 2000 lines file in three strokes when it is set to `t', but it would require about 60 strokes when nil -- which clearly makes it utterly useless.)

TL;DR: When using a trackpad or a magic mouse on macOS, the following settings are suitable:

    mouse-wheel-scroll-amount: (1 ((shift) . 5) ((control) . nil))
    mouse-wheel-progressive-speed: t

    -- Anders

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Dani Moncayo <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I think there is consensus in that 'mouse-wheel-progressive-speed'
>> should be set to nil by default.
>
> Is there?  I wasn't sure, because at least some issues are raised with
> the amount of scrolling for a single wheel click, which doesn't
> involve that variable's effect.

IIUC, the amount of scrolling for a single (isolated in time) wheel
click is currently 5 lines by default in Emacs for anyone who have not
set some system-specific setting for increasing that amount (75 lines
in Tak's environment).  And it seems that we all (except you) would
prefer lowering that amount a bit.

But regardless of the above question about the default value of
'mouse-wheel-scroll-amount', I think none of us like the
Emacs-specific acceleration of the mouse-wheel scrolling.  IOW, we all
prefer 'mouse-wheel-progressive-speed' set to nil by default.

--
Dani Moncayo