Re: Emacs 25.1 build failures on Ubuntu arm64

From: Barry Warsaw
Subject: Re: Emacs 25.1 build failures on Ubuntu arm64
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 16:46:48 -0400

On Mar 29, 2017, at 06:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> I'm not sure how much of this email will be actionable, but I wanted to at
>> least let y'all know about a problem we've seen building Emacs 25.1 on
>> Ubuntu 17.04 arm64.
>
>Did this configuration build correctly with Emacs 24.5?

It did.  Ubuntu 17.04 does still have Emacs 24.5, and its arm64 build did
succeed.  It was last built in the archive back February but I just tried an
experimental rebuild with today's toolchain and arm64 passed.

>         prev = 0x676e696e6e6967e5
>
>The value of 'prev' in frame #7 looks garbled: it's ASCII text "ginning",
>probably was "beginning" at some point.  This might indicate memory
>corruption, either some dynamically allocated memory or the stack got
>smashed.

Indeed, that's interesting.

>Does your build compile ralloc.c?  If so, could you try configuring
>with REL_ALLOC=no?

We already build with REL_ALLOC=no for both emacs24 and emacs25.

>> and the bug that tracks this is here:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs25/+bug/1656474
>
>That bug mentions several fixed done by Debian; did you try them?

I haven't; here are the list of Ubuntu deltas.  It's possible of course that
one of these introduces a problem, but I'm more suspicious of the toolchain.
The last upload into Debian unstable did successfully build arm64.

- build with parallel=1 on arm64
- Rebuild against new imagemagick 6.9.7.0. (no changes to emacs)
- Don't build-depend on gconf. emacs has supported gsettings for years

I'll see if I can do a build of the Debian version of 25.1 in an Ubuntu 17.04
PPA to see if there are any different results.

Cheers,
-Barry