Re: Display updates strangely - extra text appears and then disappears

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Display updates strangely - extra text appears and then disappears
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 18:54:51 +0200

Eli writes:

> Thanks.  I followed the recipe, but my display is not messed up as you
> describe.

I guess our environments differs in some aspect. Is there anything I
should check?

> Could you perhaps try the recipe after disabling double-buffering,
> like this:
>
>   M-: (modify-frame-parameters nil '((inhibit-double-buffering . t))) RET
>
> If you repeat the recipe after evaluating the above, does the problem
> still appear?

The problem still appears after doing that.

I just noticed that C-l also cleans up the display (perhaps not that
surprising).

I just found a simpler recipe to reproduce the problem:

 * Start emacs -Q
 * Split the window in two: C-x 2
 * Unsplit it: C-x 1

The text in the *scratch* buffer is repeated after where the line should
end:

 · https://koldfront.dk/misc/gnu-emacs/redisplay-simple.png

and it stays that way until I do something, like editing the buffer or
pressing C-l, for instance. Both with and without double buffering.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "This Interweb thing, it might just catch on, I'm            Adam Sjøgren
  telling you."                                          address@hidden