Re: Failure building Emacs master

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Failure building Emacs master
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 10:48:30 -0700

On 03/22/2017 09:10 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
In<http://bugs.gnu.org/26102#39>  you asked not to remove the POP source
code.
Not the POP source code, the fact that we build and install movemail
by default.

Ah, that wasn't clear from your statement cited above. In <http://bugs.gnu.org/26102#30> I proposed one patch to remove the unencrypted POP3 source code from movemail, and another patch to add --with-movemail. Your statement vetoed the first and changed the second so that --with-movemail was the default. But neither patch made --without-pop the default; that was a third proposal I made later, a proposal that you did not respond to but merely reverted when it was eventually installed.

I'm writing all this because I don't want people to be left with the misimpression that I deliberately installed a patch that you had specifically asked not to be installed. That is not what happened.