Re: Continuous integration

From: Toon Claes
Subject: Re: Continuous integration
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 16:36:40 +0100 (CET)

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
> Absolutely. I think the benefits reach beyond that--especially if a pull
> request workflow could be set up.

Let's not try to change too many thing at once. But I've been working
with a Pull Request/Merge Request workflow for quite some time now, and
I like it!

> Also note the recent discussion about why the Docker Hub web site's
> Javascript usage made the Docker Hub service unacceptable. I hope we
> don't waste time on discussing a GitLab installation if it doesn't fit
> that specific requirement (since it runs a web server).

The javascript on GitLab is free, but at the moment it is not compatible
with LibreJS. There is an issue about this, but there isn't much
progress on it:

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/15621

If that is a blocking issue, we should trigger the GitLab team so maybe
it will get a higher priority.

> Oh, you mean the GitLab hosted CI/CD accounts on gitlab.com. Toon and I
> are proposing something different: a FSF/GNU hosted installation of the
> GPL-ed GitLab software on local hardware.

Yes, as far as I understand, the FSF/GNU community does not like relying
on third party hosting, so that why we are suggesting to install a
self-hosted GitLab instance on FSF/GNU systems.

Maybe as temporary solution, we might put a git mirror on GitLab.com and
set up GitLab CI to see if we can get it to run the tests.

-- Toon