Re: Change Tramp syntax

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Change Tramp syntax
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:23:38 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Well, I have decided today to solve this for now and ever. I'm changing
>> Tramp that a method name is mandatory.
>
> Does it mean that tramp-completion-mode-p will disappear?

The function remains, but returns just the value of `non-essential'. Its
main use is to suppress opening an otherwise not established connection
in `tramp-maybe-open-connection'. Most of the other calls will be
removed.

Tramp won't use any heuristic anymore in order to decide, whether a new
connection could be opened, or not. It is up to the completion packages
to use this variable properly.

(In my ongoing tests I have reverted already setting `non-essential' in
`completion--nth-completion').

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.