Re: A problem with old bugs

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: A problem with old bugs
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 08:01:45 +0100

On 2017-03-07, at 17:51, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 07:15:09 +0100

>> > Can you tell which bugs are those?  I'd like to look them up and see
>> > why they stalled.
>>
>> As I said above, 21072, 19873 and one patch submitted here:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-02/msg00707.html
>
> I replied to the 2 bug reports, let's hope we will get the ball
> rolling again on them.

OK, I'll try to make a few final modifications and push them.

> As for the patch posted here, I think it makes sense to make such
> changes only if they are done in all modes.  Doing that only in one
> major mode will only confuse people.  So if you'd like to pursue this
> change (and I do think it would be a good change), please make the
> change in a way that will produce similar behavior in all the other
> modes with define their beginning-of-defun functionality.

I am not sure whether I understand.  The problem was specifically with
lisp version of `beginning-of-defun'.  With other modes, there is a bit of
a mess: some modes set `beginning-of-defun-function' (e.g. js-mode and
js2-mode), some rebind C-M-a to their beginning-of-defun (e.g. c-mode).
Now, other modes (again, I used c-mode and js2-mode for reference) do
various things when arg=0 for beginning-of-defun - e.g. c-mode claims to
is 1 etc.

Unifying that (1) might not be the best idea and (2) would require quite
a lot of work for all Emacs built-in modes.

I could try to do that, but this would take a bit.  Also, I do not know
many of the languages involved, and I'd prefer not to touch their
modes.

> Thanks, and sorry about your reports falling through the cracks.

No problem,

--
Marcin Borkowski