Re: Elisp printer

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Elisp printer
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 05:23:43 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > I noticed that pp.el doesn't handle the #<...> print syntax very well.
>
> Which ones in particular have you noticed (it's used in different ways:
> some are very old some are more recent (e.g. new in cl-print), some are
> very simple, others more complex, ...)?

I tried with (symbol-function 'byte-compile-arglist-warn), where I have
advised that function, and got

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
#<advice-wrapper :around #<compiled-function
(name arglist macrop)
#<bytecode> > my-byte-compile-arglist-warn--around-ad>
#+end_src

which not really looks neat (especially with the unindented broken
lines).  I produced that with a hacked `pp-to-string' that uses
`cl-prin1' as printer.

> We could use a syntax more like that of structs, i.e. something of the
> form #s(...).  For those objects which really aren't structs at all, we
> could use a similar notation with another letter (e.g. #f(...) for
> function objects such as advice thingies)?

Is just one letter enough?  How would thunks and streams look like with
this scheme?

Michael.