A problem with old bugs

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: A problem with old bugs
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 09:22:55 +0100

Hi there,

I'm sorry to say that I'm a bit sad.  A few months ago (maybe a year)
there was a call to so some work on old, outstanding bugs.
I volunteered for that, and while I did not spend /a lot/ of time on
that, I feel that I did indeed help a bit.  Then, I proceeded to
actually fix a few bugs that were within my reach.  I sent a patch
fixing 21072, then a patch fixing one bug I did not formally submit (but
both the bug and the patch are seemingly quite trivial), and then wanted
to start discussion on 19873.

Unfortunately, I have to say that I got very little feedback.  There was
some discussion (John's on testing, Eli's on my stupid mistakes etc.),
but my patches/emails are mainly left there undecided.

I do understand the main reason (too few developers, the bugs were not
critical), but I have to say that the situation isn't exactly motivating
for me.  I will try to continue work on some bugs for the next week or
two, but I guess I'll stop then, since at this moment it doesn't feel to
have a lot of sense anyway, and I have a lot of ways to spend my time in
a meaningful way...

Is there anything that could be done to avoid turning off people wanting
to help with Emacs development?  Did I choose wrong bugs to work on?  If
so, should I close them as "wontfix", even though (in 2 cases) there are
actual patches that seem to fix them?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski