Emacs 26.0.50 (address@hidden) Nested defsubst fails

From: raman
Subject: Emacs 26.0.50 (address@hidden) Nested defsubst fails
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 17:32:10 -0800

I tracked down the breakage to the following use case:

If you have two functions defined via defsubst -- calling the  first
function from within the second causes a byte compile error. Appears to
be independent of lexical scoping. If interested I can email out a file
showing the breakage.

Also, looking at define-inline and the comments in that file, I see that
we dont appear to have a prefered/recommended solution to  writing
functions that should be in-lined -- might be worth getting that fixed.

According to that file, defsubst and cl-defsubst appear to have
different issues with each --- though defsubst at least fo rmy use-case
has worked well for 20+ years.

emacspeak has a lot of defsubst forms that go back a long time, and I
tried a patch where I changed all defsubst forms to defun --- that
inexplicably led to build failures  that I could not explain ---
essentially the build system started loading all of emacspeak to build
each individual file.