Re: [Emacs-diffs] master adfb6f1: Continue to fix bug#25607

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master adfb6f1: Continue to fix bug#25607
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:01:17 -0500

> I don't understand what's your problem with the patch I have
> applied. Pls show me an example where it behaves wrong.

The whole point of `non-essential` is that its meaning is defined
independently from its users (i.e. independently from Tramp).
So if Tramp doesn't complete the way you want it, it's Tramp's fault.

All the patch does is set non-essential when running code whose proper
behavior is not essential (an information which can be used to decide
whether it's worth prompting the user for a password, for example).

> 1. # src/emacs -Q -f ido-mode
>
> 2. C-x C-f / s u
>
> --> This doesn't give you completion for /sudo:

Apparently Tramp's maintainer decided that it's not essential to list
"/sudo:" as a possible completion of "/su" in this case.

> 3. d o :
>
> --> Error: Host name must not match method "sudo"

And apparently Tramp's maintainer decided that it's not essential to
avoid signaling an error either (and he also decided that "/sudo:"
should be taken to refer to some place on the "sudo" host rather than
to the local host, using the sudo access method).

        Stefan