Re: Merging Org tests

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Merging Org tests
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 18:13:57 +0000

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm starting to prepare the merger of Org 9+ to Emacs master.  I have not
> followed the entire recent Emacs+ELPA discussion in the other thread.
>
> I understand that it would be desirable to include the Org tests in Emacs.
>
> The readme/file-organization file in the "test" dir of emacs.git is a bit
> confusing.

Apologies, my fault.

> Why does it talk about an "automated" folder that isn't there?  I
> guess it's simply "lisp" folder.

Yeah, that was the original idea, but we ended up with src, lisp and manual

> Also, how strictly must the suggested file organization be followed?
> Skimming "make-test-deps.emacs-lisp" it seems it might have to be followed
> rather strictly.

It depends what you want. make-test-deps.emacs-lisp is there so that
"make check-maybe" can work sanely to run (some approximation of) just
those tests that need running. I thought this was a good thing to have,
because "make check" takes too long to run in a commit hook.

If you don't follow the file organisation, then make check will still
work.

> In Org, tests are already organized into a different file hierarchy
> and use a slightly different naming scheme.
>
> Here's the Org "testing" folder:
>
>     http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/tree/testing
>
> The main differences are:
>
> - In Emacs "test" ressources are in a parallel folder alongside lisp, in
>   the Org repo they are stored in a sibling folder to the one with the
>   tests.

This is a consequence of Emacs' monolithic layout. I think your layout is
better and core should adopt your layout, but that's a slightly
different issue.

> - In the Org repo, tests are prefixed with "test-", in Emacs "test" they
>   should have a "-tests" suffix.

I picked "tests" over "test" on the basis of popularity, IIRC.

> - The Org tests depend on the library "org-test.el", though I guess that
>   is not really an issue.
>
> What would be the best strategy for including the Org tests in the Emacs
> repo?
>
> 1. Include Org tests in the "manual" folder and keep the current structure.
> 2. Start to reorganize the tests in the Org repo to follow the Emacs
>    scheme.
> 3. Keep tests in the Org repo.

Really be good to get tests in into main, so not 3. That's the main
thing.

Phil