Re: Module support: No environment in pointer release function

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Module support: No environment in pointer release function
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 12:51:47 +0000

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> schrieb am Mo., 6. Feb. 2017 um 06:34 Uhr:
Elias Mårtenson wrote:
> In
> addition to the pointer itself, the ‘emacs_env’ pointer is needed. An
> arbitrary ‘void *data’ pointer would be useful too.

Can you package up these pointers into a single data structure, and pass a
pointer to that structure? That's what's usually done in situations like this,
and is why a single 'void *' should suffice.

That doesn't work because the module environment is only valid during a single module function call and can't be reused.
(With threads, it's also bound to the thread it was created in, and I don't think the GC will run in the same thread.)