Installing binaries with package.el

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Installing binaries with package.el
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 21:09:10 -0500

Hi emacs-devel,

Can package.el install binaries?  That is, if my package includes a command
line interface, can I ask package.el to install it to somewhere like
.emacs.d/bin, or ~/.bin?  Or should I do this by adding autoloaded code that
runs at package installation time?

The only alternative option that I know of is to use Cask to install a local
copy of the package, and then use "cask exec" to run the command line tool.
Obviously, this doesn't work too well for a general purpose tool that users may
want to run from arbitrary directories (as an example, think of a
code-indentation tool that would use Emacs to reindent a source file).

Can package.el help? Otherwise, does anyone have experience with this sort of
set up?

Thanks!
Clément.