Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 09:19:38 -0500

> On Feb 4, 2017, at 05:37, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 04:10:38 -0500
>> Cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>,
>> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>> address@hidden
>>
>> Perhaps reading characters.el(c) at startup would be a better
>> choice.
>
> How about changing emacs.c to read characters.el(c) just after
> dumped.elc?
>
> Alternatively, would it be possible to simply append characters.elc to
> the end of dumped.elc, as part of preparing the latter?

For now, I changed loadup.el to emit a “load” form to get characters.elc at
startup, and that seems to be working.  Copying the contents of characters.elc
may be very slightly faster, but I haven’t done any timing tests.

I also tracked down my new ja-dic-cnv problem.  It looks like SKK-JISYO.L was
being mangled on read because the input sequences weren’t recognized as Unicode
compatible; this caused the resulting buffer not to be considered UTF-8
compatible, so it prompted for a coding system to write with.  Calling
unify-charset on the various charsets seems to be needed.

With that change, I’m able to run “make bootstrap” in a GNU/Linux/X11
configuration and it runs to completion.  I haven’t yet tested it on macOS, or
compared the .elc for the differences you were describing.

Ken