Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 22:11:31 -0500

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 18:38:41 -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> Your implicit assumption here is that if any part of a service involves
> nonfree software (in this case, Docker Hub account registration and
> maintenance), then using any other part of the service (in this case,
> Docker Hub as an image repository) is against this purpose.

If using X involves temporarily setting aside freedom, then that harms
your freedom, but that's your choice.  But if you then ask others to use
X, and therefore temporarily set aside their freedoms, that is a
different situation entirely.  Further, complacency in that action from
a large enough group will cement it; we need people to speak out against
those types of things so that they stop happening.

If there is an alternative means to register with Docker Hub, then
perhaps it wouldn't be a barrier, because we wouldn't have to ask others
to temporarily surrender their freedoms.  For example, if Docker Hub
offered a address@hidden e-mail address where someone manually
registered an account on your behalf to circumvent the issue, then
it wouldn't be a problem for as long as that e-mail service remained
available to others.  If someone developed a free replacement for their
proprietary JS that allowed for registration, it wouldn't be an issue
for as long as that script works.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer