Re: Overlays as an AA-tree

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Overlays as an AA-tree
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 11:24:47 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Andreas Politz <address@hidden>

>> Overlay[s] [...] positions may change in one of 3 ways: [...]
>> Is this the correct model ?
>
> Not sure what you are asking here.  You actually described the model
> of modifying buffer text, which is only tangentially related to
> overlays.

Confirmation. Too many times I thought I had a grasp on something, exept
I didn't.  I think its an important issue, because it influences the
performance penalty overlays have on editing text. (Note: I don't plan
to keep the markers.)

>> Someone mentioned in a different thread,
>> that occasionally we may have B > E.  How does this happen ?
>
> I don't think it can happen, except during internal operations [...]

I see.

> There are also overlays that evaporate.

Now thats what I would call tangential. (Just teasing.)

-ap