Re: compilation-mode, face, font-lock-face

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: compilation-mode, face, font-lock-face
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 12:52:19 +0100

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> As I understand it, 'font-lock-face' is supposed to be set only by
> font-lock; 'face' should be set by any other mechanism.

AFAIK, no - rather the opposite.

'face' is dynamically updated by font-lock, so if you modify this text
property directly in a buffer that has font-lock turned on, you get no
visible effect most of the time.  You have to use font-lock-face in this
case, as an instruction to font-lock to use the respective face when
fontifying the buffer.  See (info "(elisp) Special Properties").

Michael.