Fixing "Unknown slot" warnings

From: David Engster
Subject: Fixing "Unknown slot" warnings
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 13:39:31 +0100

I'm currently fixing the above byte-compiler warnings for CEDET. I've
replaced all the 'oref' with 'slot-value' and properly used quotes for
the slot names, but there are some warnings remaining. The reason is
that the byte-compiler has not seen the class declaration, so it does
not know about the available slots. However, I cannot simply
eval-when-compile-require the file with the class as it would create a
circular dependency.

Example: Compiling lisp/cedet/semantic.el issues

  In semantic-analyze-completion-at-point-function:
  cedet/semantic.el:1188:15:Warning: Unknown slot ‘bounds’

The class declaration for `semantic-analyze-context' is in
semantic/analyze.el, which however itself requires semantic.

How can I tell the compiler everything will be OK at runtime, similar to
what 'declare-function' does for functions?

-David