Re: CEDET Merge

From: Edward John Steere
Subject: Re: CEDET Merge
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 22:20:27 +0200

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:
>> Edward John Steere writes:
>>> As I said in my previous email I'll make a start on the tests.
>>
>> That's great, thanks! I'll push a branch with my progress soon.
>
> I just pushed my first try as scratch/last-cedet-merge.
>
> -David

I've just pushed up a fairly rough attempt at merging the tests in
scratch/merge-cedet-tests (it looks like tests were only ever merged to
Emacs once.)  I took the following approach:

 * I used git to format patches per test file.
 * changed the destination of the file in each patch to match the Emacs
   manual testing directory;
 * fixed any commit messages which failed the commit hook;
 * added a final commit to cleanup; which included the removal of
   duplicated test files not moved by the patching process and the
   removal of dependencies on language/project support which we're not
   merging

The consequence of this approach is that my branch will add 316 commits.
Many of the commit messages aren't up to scratch (they pass the commit
hook but don't match the requirements outlined in CONTRIBUTE).  I'm
going to have to spend some time fixing the rest of the commits.  I
wanted to ask whether we should consider squashing all 316 commits into
a "cedet-merge" commit since the changes are going to be documented in
the ChangeLog.

Finally; the tests don't run with the CEDET in Emacs.  The first failure
is caused by a missing SRecode template -- which I imagine David will
have added on his branch.  I haven't checked what happens when his and
my changes are merged.