Re: 64-bit build on Windows

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: 64-bit build on Windows
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:50:59 -0600

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> -  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw64/lib/pkgconfig \
>>    ./configure --prefix=/c/emacs/emacs-25 --without-imagemagick
>
>      ./configure --prefix=/c/emacs/emacs-25
>
> I meant, of course.

I'm a mingw64bit user.

It's been a while since I installed msys/mingw64, so I may be out of
date.

I have no imagemagick installed in msys2, so it was (is?) not installed
by default (I'd be surprised if it is).

I suggest nt/INSTALL.w64 include instructions for installing Imagemagick,
and any other optional packages that can be installed from msys2 at this
time. And also a list of optional packages that must be gotten
elsewhere.

That way users following all the instructions get as complete an Emacs
as possible, and users wanting a smaller install can leave things out.

Currently, the list of packages to get from pacman lists some optional
packages, but not all, so the statement "you now have a complete build
environment for emacs" is misleading.

At the very least, there should somewhere be a _complete_ list of
optional packages; INSTALL.w64 could reference that list, rather than
repeat it.

One more point; under "run configure", it says installing Emacs to the
default "C:\msys64" is "not recommended". Why not?

If it's because there is an msys package that installs Emacs there, say
so. People need information to make informed choices.

--
-- Stephe