Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ed3685a77: Lots of refactorings and a few mino

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ed3685a77: Lots of refactorings and a few minor improvements.
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 10:23:10 -0800

Stefan Merten wrote:

I got the impression, that lately few people care about these rules

I'm afraid that impression is incorrect. Many developers care (hence this thread :-).

See for example:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/lisp/textmodes/rst.el?id=92e5b41c7c5898820356fc66456804a45bbe7852
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/lisp/textmodes/rst.el?id=c61ee94959ba96b2a327df0684593f7e569e30be

Those examples merely rename locals or adjust comments, and typically this doesn't need to be mentioned in ChangeLogs. Your changes did more than that.

I hope the commit message below is what you require.

Much better, thanks. My main problem with it is that "Refactor by removing old functions, introducing new functions and change existing functions" is too vague. Please write for an audience that includes people who have code that calls (say) rst-comment-region and want to know how to adjust the code after your changes to the API.

At this point, by the way, the commit is done. We're talking about what you should do next time. (You can change the ChangeLog.3 file later if you like, but that's not urgent.)