Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 23:04:25 +0100

> However, I don't see any ethical issue about making and distributing
> Docker images of Emacs as long as we get the details right: for
> instance, use an endorsed free GNU/Linux distro.

We could use Guix to generate the image contents from scratch, i.e. we
wouldn’t even have to use a “base image” (usually a minimal GNU/Linux
system).  The idea is to export the package closure for the “emacs”
package from the Guix store (this includes all runtime dependencies) and
wrap up the files in a plain docker image.

200MB is quite optimistic, though.  A fully functional GTK+ installation
with all dependencies is already larger than that.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
http://elephly.net