Re: scrolling in shell buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: scrolling in shell buffer
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:41:36 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 08:22:21 -0500
>
> But when I switch to another buffer, wait several minutes, then switch
> back, so that many additional lines of output have been generated, it
> puts point in the middle of the window.
>
> That's good for ordinary buffers, but it isn't good for a shell
> buffer.  For a shell buffer, as long as point is at the end, display
> should normally scroll point to the bottom of the window.

AFAIK, the only way redisplay guarantees that point will always be at
the bottom of the window is if you set scroll-conservatively to a
value larger than 100.  Otherwise, sooner or later you will see
recentering under some conditions.

If you want this behavior for shell buffers, I suggest to customize
comint-move-point-for-output and/or comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input.