Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 09:56:03 -0500

>> Also, does autoloading work for macros?
> It doesn't, but why would macros be a problem?

Huh?  Autoloading works fine for macros.  Or maybe I'm misundertanding
Clement's question.

The problem of autoloading is with variables, coding systems, faces, ...
This said, I don't see any strong reason why we couldn't arrange to
autoload coding systems.

Maybe we should instrument the Emacs code to mark functions that are
called during a normal "start Emacs opening a file in fundamental mode".
Then we can look at the preloaded functions&macros which haven't been
used.  This should give us a good idea of how much there is to gain on
this front.

        Stefan