Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 07:57:09 -0500

> On Dec 11, 2016, at 14:18, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>> * Changed gc-cons-threshold to be much larger.
>
> How about binding it to a higher value for loadup?

That may be good enough.  But GC will probably kick in right after we set it
back, so probably most methods we might try for measuring startup time will
incur the cost of at least one GC pass, and it’ll happen when the user starts
Emacs in real life.  I guess one question is, how much it matters?  It’s only a
fraction of a second, but I’m trying to shave a startup time of 0.2s (or 0.6s
on Mac OS X) down closer to 0.1s, so a fraction of a second can make a
difference.