RE: Strange behavior editing a file from Dired

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Strange behavior editing a file from Dired
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:32:23 -0800 (PST)

>   > My thought exactly.  It's a gotcha that I still fall into,
>   > even though I've been using many frames for a long time.
>
>   > You put the cursor back where it was, and after trying to
>   > do something that depends on where it was, you see that it
>   > was moved somewhere else.
>
> If it depends on multiple frames, it can't be the same bug I
> experience, but it might be another bug.  If you see it again,
> please report it.

I think it comes from having different window points when the
same buffer is displayed in different windows.  I'm not sure
that multiple _frames_ need to be involved, but perhaps Andreas
has an idea about that.  I use different frames, so I can't
really tell whether different windows are sufficient.

Possibly it's a bug in Dired.  What I think I see (sometimes)
is that Dired seems to be checking the window point in some
other window than the window that is selected when I request
the action.  It gets the buffer right, but not the window.
And by the end of the action it has moved point in the window
that was originally selected to the position it has in the
other window.

I'll try to pay more attention when it happens again and see
if I can notice what's involved.  In any case, I don't think
what I have seen is a new problem.  Dunno if it's the same
thing you're seeing.